28 Apr 2017, 07:22
- Asian equities traded mostly lower despite some strong US tech earnings after-market as political concerns and softness in commodities tempered gains
- FX markets were relatively quiet with USD/JPY subdued around 111.00 after a slew of mixed data releases
- Looking ahead, highlights include US and Canadian GDP, Chicago PMI, Uni. Of Michigan
27 Apr 2017, 06:54
26 Apr 2017, 06:57
- Asian equities followed their US counterparts amid a slew of strong corporate earnings
- AUD slipped in response to softer than expected inflation figures, despite moving to within the RBA target range for the first time since 2014.
- Looking ahead, highlights include US DoE Crude Inventories and Canadian Retail Sales.
25 Apr 2017, 14:27
- Positive momentum continues in Asia amid the French election relief rally, alongside optimism over tax cuts.
- Major pairs relatively rangebound, however CAD slips on news that US is to levy 20% import tax on Canadian lumber.
- Looking ahead, highlights include Richmond Fed, API Crude report and US New Home Sales.
24 Apr 2017, 06:57
- FRENCH PRESIDENTIAL...
21 Apr 2017, 17:25
Sunday 23rd April will see voters head to the polls for the first round of voting in the French Presidential election. The first round of voting will see 11 candidates looking to secure the minimum 50% of the total vote to secure the French Presidency. Should no individual candidate secure this then the race will go to a second round on Sunday May 7th which will see the two...
21 Apr 2017, 17:06
21 Apr 2017, 10:26
21 Apr 2017, 06:58
- Asian equities traded mostly higher in the final trading session of the week amid the positive healthcare reform-inspired gains on Wall Street
- FX markets traded quiet amid a lack of tier 1 data releases, which saw the USD-Index hold below 100.00
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK retail sales, Canadian CPI, US mfg PMI, Existing Home Sales, BoE’s Saunders and ECB’s...
20 Apr 2017, 06:55
- Asian equity markets traded mostly higher, albeit modestly so with the Nikkei 225 supported by strong export-based trade data
- NZD gained some ground against its major counterparts overnight amid encouraging domestic CPI figures
- Looking ahead, highlights include US weekly jobs, Philly Fed, Fed’s Powell, Rosengren and BoE’s Carney
19 Apr 2017, 06:55
- Asian equities traded lower amid the downbeat tone from Wall Street whereby lacklustre earnings dragged prices lower
- GBP took focus after the EU close yesterday with GBP/USD steamrolling tspanough stops to briefly break above 1.2900
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone CPI, DoEs, Fed’s George, Rosengren and ECB’s Coeure
18 Apr 2017, 06:54
- Asian equity markets traded mostly lower despite the positive Wall Street lead with the ASX notably hampered by losses in gold and iron ore
- FX markets were relatively uneventful overnight with USD/JPY largely guided by fluctuating risk sentiment
- Looking ahead, highlights include US Building Permits and Housing Starts, Fed’s George and Rosengren
13 Apr 2017, 13:47
- Equity markets across Asia continued with the week’s theme, as geopolitical fears and commentary continued to lead to a risk off tone
- Comments from President Trump that the USD is getting too strong and he prefers low interest rate policy set the tone for Asian trade
- Looking ahead, highlights include US PPI, weekly jobs data, Uni. Of Michigan
12 Apr 2017, 06:54
- Asian equities slip amid the rising geopolitical concerns, while Chinese CPI misses analyst estimates.
- JPY the notable beneficiary from the risk off tone with USD/JPY at its lowest level since Nov’16.
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK Jobs Data, BoC Rate Decision, and DoE Crude Report.
11 Apr 2017, 06:54
- Mounting geopolitical concerns continue to guide investor sentiment with Asian equities trading mostly lower
- This sentiment was also seen in FX markets with JPY one of the main beneficiaries, dragging USD/JPY below 111.00
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK inflation, German ZEW and Fed’s Kashkari
10 Apr 2017, 06:55
- Asian equities traded mixed following on from the subdued Wall Street lead while geopolitical tensions continue to mount over the weekend
- USD held onto Friday’s gains where the USD-index reclaimed 101.00, meanwhile, JPY softened with USD/JPY extending further above 111.00
- Looking ahead, highlights include ECB’s Constancio and Fed’s Yellen
07 Apr 2017, 06:55
- Risk-off sentiment has been spurred by heightened geopolitical tensions as the US launched cruise missiles against Syrian targets
- A Syria military source stated that the strike led to losses, while Russia is to seek a UN Security Council meeting on the strike
- Looking ahead, highlights include US and Canadian Jobs reports, UK Industrial and Manufacturing Production, BoE's Carney, Fed's Dudley, ECB's Coeure and...
06 Apr 2017, 06:56
- FOMC minutes saw focus around a potential change to the Fed’s reinvestment policy and a split on whether hikes should be faster or more gradual
- Asia equities traded lower, following on from the US lead with the USD losing ground against major counterparts
- Looking ahead, highlights include ECB Minutes, US Weekly Jobs data, ECB’s Draghi, Praet and Constancio
05 Apr 2017, 06:56
- Asia equity markets traded choppy following the mild gains on Wall St. which was led by the energy sector
- FX markets were uneventful amid a lack of tier 1 data during the Asia session, which kept the USD range-bound
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone, UK and US Service PMI, ADP Employment Change and ISM Non-Manufacturing PMI, DoEs and FOMC Minutes
04 Apr 2017, 06:47
- Asian Equities traded with little in the way of firm direction amid holiday-thinned trade with the USD trading in a similar manner
- The RBA kept rates on hold at 1.50% as expected and struck a mildly cautious tone
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK Construction PMI, US Trade Balance, ECB’s Draghi, ECB’s Liikanen and Fed’s Tarullo
03 Apr 2017, 06:55
- Asian equities traded mostly higher as the region digested a slew of mixed data
- FX markets saw a quiet start to the week with the USD-index rangebound ahead of this week’s key risk events
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone, UK and US Mfg. PMI data, US Construction Spending, ECB’s Coeure, Fed’s Dudley, Lacker and Harker
31 Mar 2017, 07:04
- Asian equity markets traded somewhat mixed with some slight indecision heading into month, quarter and fiscal year-end
- USD remained firm as the USD-index extended advances above 100.00 amid weakness in EUR/USD which languished below 1.0700
- Looking ahead, highlights include German unemployment rate, UK GDP, US PCE, University of Michigan sentiment, ECB's Couere and Fed's Bullard &...
30 Mar 2017, 06:54
- Asian equities traded mostly lower despite a largely positive lead from the US in which the energy sector outperformed
- The greenback held near yesterday’s highs as the USD-index reclaimed 100.00, while USD/JPY extended its footing above 111.00
- Looking ahead, highlights include German...
29 Mar 2017, 06:55
- Asian equities traded mostly higher amid a positive Wall Street lead, with stocks supported by upside in energy and financial names
- USD held on to the prior session’s gains with the USD-index closer to the 100 level and USD/JPY above 111.00
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK PM May invoking Article 50 and the DoE Crude oil inventory...