19 Jun 2017, 06:54
- Today sees the beginning of UK-EU Brexit negotiations with UK press suggesting a potential tspaneat to May’s leadership
- French President Macron’s party and allies won a parliamentary majority with over 300 seats of the total 577-seats.
- Looking ahead, highlights include the beginning of UK-EU Brexit negotiations, ECB’s...
18 Jun 2017, 14:22
18 Jun 2017, 14:06
16 Jun 2017, 06:57
- BoJ kept rates unchanged at -0.1% as expected and maintained QQE with Yield Curve Control as expected
- Asian equities traded mostly higher across the board despite the negative lead from Wall Street. Nikkei 225 outperformed amid softer JPY
- Looking ahead, highlights include US housing starts, Uni. Of...
15 Jun 2017, 06:56
- Fed hiked by 25bps as Exp. & outlined plans for balance sheet normalisation, expects inflation and growth to pick up
- Subsequently seen as more hawkish than anticipated; support for US yields, USD, equities hampered before recovering into the close
- Looking ahead, highlights include SNB & BoE rate decisions, US weekly...
14 Jun 2017, 14:46
PREVIEW: BoE June Rate Decision and Minutes Release 1200BST/0600CST
- Current BoE Base Rate: 0.25%, Asset Purchase Target: GBP 435bln of government securities and GBP 10bln of corporate debt.
- Analysts expect the BoE to remain on hold this meeting with rhetoric from the minutes expected to have a neutral tone.
- This meeting sees the release of the decision itself, the vote split and the minutes, but no Quarterly Inflation Report scheduled this...
14 Jun 2017, 06:57
- Asian equities traded with little in the way of firm direction despite tech names posting a rebound yesterday and the S&P 500 and DJIA posting record highs
- FX markets were relatively quiet with the USD-index languished below the 97.00 level ahead of an anticipated ‘dovish hike’ by the Fed later today
- Looking ahead, highlights include the UK jobs report, US CPI, DoEs and the FOMC rate...
13 Jun 2017, 16:52
- The FOMC is seen raising the FFR target by 25bps to 1.00-1.25%, but the main focus will be on the hike trajectory
- Updated economic projections will be published, and there will be a post-meeting press conference with Chair Janet Yellen
- Analysts aren’t expecting any dramatic changes in the Fed’s updated forecasts and ‘dot-plots’
- Traders will be looking out for details on how the Fed intends to begin sspaninking its balance sheet ...
13 Jun 2017, 07:00
- Asian equities managed to avoid further losses despite a continuation of tech-related selling pressure seen on Wall Street
- In FX, USD/JPY nursed yesterday’s losses to test 110.00 to the upside, while EUR/USD languished after relinquishing the 1.1200 handle
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK CPI, German ZEW, US PPI and API Inventories
12 Jun 2017, 06:56
- Asian equities traded mostly lower after Friday’s tech sell-off seen on Wall Street while uncertainty continues to surround UK politics
- Exit polls from the first round of France's parliamentary election suggest Macron’s La Republique En Marche party is to win between 415-455 seats (out of 577)
- Today’s session sees a lack of tier 1 data releases
11 Jun 2017, 15:09
- A 25bps hike to the Federal Funds Rate target on 14 June 2017 is pretty much a done deal, with money markets pricing in a 99.6% chance that rates will be lifted for the second time this year to 1.00-1.25%. The real question is whether the Fed will maintain its “gradual” hike trajectory, which sees a total of tspanee rate rises per annum in 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- The FOMC will also update its economic projections, which aren’t likely to see...
- Theresa May’s future is in doubt as her gamble to strengthen her hand looks to have backfired with projections for a hung parliament.
- GBP fell around 200 pips on the release of the exit poll, while the latest forecasts from BBC seeing Conservatives at 318 seats (8 short of an absolute majority and 12 short from current) labour at 267.
- **Note that a working majority can be obtained with 321 seats given that the tspanee...
08 Jun 2017, 14:28
08 Jun 2017, 11:25
ECB Preview: Rate Decision due at 1245BST/0645CDT and Press Conference at 1330BST/0730CDT
- All rates and the current pace of asset purchases are expected to be left unchanged.
- The ECB is expected to tweak its forward guidance by categorising its growth risks as balanced. There is also a chance it may adjust guidance on rates and asset purchases.
- Staff will update macroeconomic projections; any shift in...
08 Jun 2017, 06:55
- Asian equities saw an indecisive session ahead of key risk events with notable data releases including Japanese GDP and Chinese Trade
- USD held onto the gains seen after Former FBI Director Comey’s prepared statement was deemed less detrimental than some had feared
- Looking ahead, highlights include ECB rate decision, UK election and Former FBI Director Comey’s...
07 Jun 2017, 07:00
- Asian equities saw little in the way of firm direction as participants remained weary ahead of a slew of upcoming key risk events
- AUD took focus overnight in FX markets following better than expected domestic Y/Y GDP data
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone GDP and DoE Inventories
06 Jun 2017, 14:30
Why has a Snap Election been called?On April 18th PM Theresa May surprised many by calling for a snap election for June 8th . May stated that her reason in doing so was to “strengthen her hand in Brexit negotiations”. While at the time that the snap election had being called, the Conservative party had a commanding 20ppt lead in the opinion polls, an opportunity that may not occur again. As...
06 Jun 2017, 06:54
- AUD pared initial weakness after the RBA kept rates unchanged as expected while striking an overall neutral tone
- Asian equities traded mostly lower with underperformance in the ASX and the Nikkei 225 hampered by a firmer JPY
- Looking ahead, highlights include US APIs and the NZ GDT Index
05 Jun 2017, 06:55
- Middle east tensions see crude prices jump over 1% as several nations cut ties with Qatar.
- Subdued trade in Asia following Saturday’s terrorist attack in London.
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK Services PMI, US ISM Non-Manufacturing PMI and Factory Orders.
02 Jun 2017, 06:53
- Asian equities benefited from the increased risk-appetite after all tspanee major US indices posted record highs following strong data
- FX price action centered around JPY, with USD/JPY and JPY-crosses lifted as the heightened risk appetite spurred outflows from the safe-haven currency
- Looking ahead, highlights include US jobs report, Fed’s Harker and...
01 Jun 2017, 18:44
01 Jun 2017, 06:59
- Asian equities saw mixed performance with the Nikkei 225 supported by domestic data while soft Caixin PMI weighed on the Shanghai Comp.
- AUD underperformed due to soft Chinese data despite strong Australian numbers. Polls remain in focus for GBP
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone and UK Mfg. PMI, ADP, ISM Mfg. PMI, DoEs and a slew of central bank...
31 May 2017, 06:54
- The latest YouGov has projected the UK Conservative party to fall 16 seats short of an overall majority with 310 seats
- Asian equities traded relatively mixed as China returned to market and was greeted by encouraging PMI data
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone CPI, Canadian GDP, Chicago PMI, ECB’s Coeure, Lautenschlager, Fed’s...