01 Feb 2018, 07:01
- FOMC stood pat on rates as expected whilst tweaking its language surrounding inflation (widely-touted)
- Asian equities mostly higher following a positive close on Wall St. No sustained USD reaction post-FOMC
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone, UK and US mfg PMIs, US ISM mfg, supply from Spain and France and a slew of...
31 Jan 2018, 07:03
- Asian equity markets initially in the red following the soft lead from Wall St.
- AUD notably weaker after Australian inflation data falls below expectations.
- Looking ahead, highlights include EuroZone inflation, German Unemployment, US ADP, Quarterly Refunding Announcement and FOMC rate...
30 Jan 2018, 07:06
- Asian markets traded lower across the board as the selling in US equity futures and retreat from record highs gathered pace overnight
- UK PM May will reject the EU’s proposed deal on the Brexit transition period and go into battle next week over freedom of movement and so-called “rule taking”
- Looking ahead, highlights include German regional and nation...
29 Jan 2018, 06:58
- Asia-Pac bourses traded somewhat mixed, as the region failed to maintain the early broad momentum from last Friday’s gains on Wall St.
- USD strengthened against its major counterparts in which EUR/USD briefly slipped below 1.2400 and AUD/USD gave up the 0.8100 hand
- Looking ahead, highlights include US personal consumption and...
26 Jan 2018, 17:48 by Samuel Indyk
Tuesday: Eurozone GDP (Q4, P)
Wednesday: FOMC MonPol Decision, Canadian GDP (Nov), Eurozone CPI (Jan, P), Australian CPI (Q4)
Friday: US Labour Market Report (Jan)
Monday will bring the release of the US PCE price index, alongside the...
26 Jan 2018, 07:01
25 Jan 2018, 07:01
24 Jan 2018, 06:55
- Asian equity markets traded mixed with the Nikkei 225 lagging its peers amid a firmer JPY
- In FX, USD woes persisted in which the DXY slipped to below 90.00 for the first time since late 2014
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone and US Manufacturing PMI, UK Jobs Report, DoEs and NZ...
23 Jan 2018, 14:38
ECB Monetary Policy Decision Due At 12:45 GMT, Press Conference Due At 13:30 GMT
- Unanimous expectations look for the ECB to leave its tspanee key rates unchanged
- Focus will fall on what hints/if any Draghi delivers on the future path of the Bank’s PSPP
- Markets will also be looking out for any potential comments from the ECB President on the ongoing EUR...
23 Jan 2018, 07:04
- US Senate passes stopgap spending bill to reopen the government
- Bank of Japan keeps monetary policy instruments unchanged, attention turns to Kuroda
- Highlights today include German ZEW survey, EU Consumer Confidence and API oil inventories
22 Jan 2018, 06:58
Week In Focus: Hawks vs. Doves? The BoJ & The ECB Issue Their Latest Decisions, Will We Get Any Clarity From Either Bank?
19 Jan 2018, 18:37 by Samuel Indyk
Tuesday: Bank of Japan MonPol Decision
Thursday: ECB MonPol Decision, UK Labour Market Report (Nov/Dec), New Zealand CPI (Q4), Norges Bank MonPol Decision
Friday: US GDP (Q4, A), UK GDP (Q4, A)
Focus in the early part of the week is set to...
19 Jan 2018, 06:55
18 Jan 2018, 07:04
17 Jan 2018, 06:56
16 Jan 2018, 06:56
15 Jan 2018, 06:58
- Asian equity markets modestly in the green with sentiment buoyed from Friday’s Wall St. close.
- PBoC sets the strongest CNY since May’16, supporting AUD and NZD, while USD softens to 3yr low.
- Looking ahead, highlights include BoE’s...
Week In Focus: Bank of Canada, Will They Or Won’t They? Just How Strong Was Chinese GDP Growth In 2017?
12 Jan 2018, 18:27 by Samuel Indyk
Wednesday: BoC MonPol Decision
Thursday: Chinese GDP (Q4), UK Inflation Data (Dec), Australian Labour Market Report
The US will observe Martin Luther King Day on Monday, which will lead to lower liquidity conditions at the...
12 Jan 2018, 06:57
11 Jan 2018, 06:58
- Asian equity markets were mostly lower amid a dampened global risk tone. In FX, AUD outperformed its major peers after better than expected Retail Sales data
- China SAFE said that report on China mulling reduction in US Treasury purchases may cite a wrong source or be fake news.
- Looking ahead, highlights include ECB minutes, US PPI, Fed’s Dudley and supply...
10 Jan 2018, 07:02
- Asia failed to sustain the positive lead from Wall St where all US majors resumed their record setting performance
- JPY continued to firm following yesterday’s BoJ purchase tweaks with USD/JPY down a further 30+ pips on the session
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK production and trade data, US import and export prices, DoEs, Fed’s Bullard and...
09 Jan 2018, 06:59
- Asian Asia equity markets traded mostly higher as the region mirrored the tone seen in US, where all majors posted fresh record highs
- JPY strengthened on a reduced Rinban announcement in which USD/JPY slipped below 113.00
- Looking ahead, highlights include APIs, Fed’s Kashkari and supply from the Netherlands, Austria, Germany, UK and the...
08 Jan 2018, 06:57
- Asian equity markets trade mostly higher with Japanese markets closed for a public holiday
- FX markets traded mostly sideways with AUD slightly underperforming
- Highlights today include Eurozone consumer confidence and speeches from Fed’s Bostic, Williams & Rosengren
05 Jan 2018, 06:55