24 Nov 2017, 06:54
- Asian equities traded with little in the way of firm direction with the Shanghai Comp. unable to stage any major recovery from yesterday’s sell-off
- FX trade mostly resumed the consolidation observed during the Thanksgiving US market closure
- Looking ahead, highlights include German IFO, ECB’s Coeure and Constancio
23 Nov 2017, 06:56
- FOMC minutes stated that concerns about inflation were widely shared with little else in the way of new information
- A mixed tone was observed in Asia with the region indecisive amid holiday-quietened trade, in which Japan observed a national holiday
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone PMIs, UK GDP, ECB’s Praet, Coeure and US Thanksgiving
22 Nov 2017, 06:55
- Asia equity markets were higher across the board as the regional bourses received a lift from their US counterparts
- Crude prices bolstered by the latest API report which showed a larger than expected drawdown and the largest draw in 3 months
- Looking ahead, highlights include the UK budget, US durables, weekly jobs, DoEs, FOMC minutes and Baker...
21 Nov 2017, 14:07
- UK Chancellor Hammond not expected to announce a wave of ‘give-aways’ due to future post-Brexit uncertainty
- OBR expected to downgrade productivity and growth projections, upgrade inflation projections
- Gilt issuance is anticipated to fall to GBP 113.4bln (as surveyed by Reuters) against the DMO’s April projection of GBP 114.2bln
21 Nov 2017, 06:55
- Asian equity markets were higher across the board as the region took the impetus from the mostly positive close on Wall St
- UK press reports suggest that Johnson and Gove now agree that Britain should increase its Brexit divorce bill offer above GBP 20bln
- Looking ahead, highlights include US existing home sales, APIs, ECB’s Coeure and Fed’s...
20 Nov 2017, 06:57
- Political uncertainty from subpoenas on Trump campaign staff and a breakdown in German coalition talks hampered sentiment overnight
- EUR took the brunt of the political concerns in Germany with EUR/USD retreating further below 1.1800, while EUR/GBP gave up the 0.8900 handle
- Looking ahead, highlights include potential comments from ECB’s Lautenschlaeger, Draghi and...
17 Nov 2017, 06:56
- USD dips following WSJ reports suggesting that US Special Counsel Mueller has issued a Subpoena for Russia-related documents from Trump campaign officials.
- Asian equities pulled back from better levels amid reports that North Korea conducts aggressive work on construction of a ballistic missile submarine.
- Looking ahead,...
15 Nov 2017, 07:01
14 Nov 2017, 07:02
- Reports suggest that UK Brexit Secretary Davis told business leaders that there is a 50-50 Chance of a deal in December
- The AUD benefitted from a record NAB Business Conditions print in the latest survey which saw the currency pare some of its losses vs. the USD
- Looking ahead, highlights include German GDP, UK inflation, US PPI, APIs and a slew of central bank...
13 Nov 2017, 07:00
- Asian indices were mixed, with no fresh catalyst for a decisive move
- GBP was the underperformer in the major space as source pieces suggested as many as 40 MP’s are pressuring UK PM May to resign
- Today’s main highlight is potential comments from ECB’s Constancio
10 Nov 2017, 17:44 by Samuel Indyk
Key Events: -
Tuesday: UK Inflation Data (Oct) Japanese GDP (Q2, P)
Wednesday: US CPI (Oct) US Retail Sales (Oct) UK Labour Market Report (Sep/Oct)
Thursday: UK Retail Sales (Oct) Australian Labour Market Report (Oct) ...
10 Nov 2017, 06:55
- Asian equities are set to close out the week in the red with risk sentiment dented by US tax doubts
- AUD slipped post the RBA’s SOMP (Statement On Monetary Policy), in which the central bank cut their inflation outlook
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK production numbers, Uni. Of Michigan
09 Nov 2017, 06:56
- Risk on sentiment had been in full swing in Asia as stocks continued to edge higher at the beginning of the session, before later paring initial advances
- NZD at better levels after the RBNZ monetary policy decision, where the central bank kept the OCR at 1.75% as expected
- Looking ahead, highlights include US weekly jobs, ECB’s Coeure, Mersch, Lautenschlaeger...
08 Nov 2017, 11:59
RBNZ OCR Review and Monetary Policy Statement due on Wednesday 8th November 2017 at 2000 GMT, 1400 CT
- The RBNZ is likely to leave its Official Cash Rate unchanged at 1.75%
- Uncertainty is rife following the recent General Election, which saw a new coalition come in to power
- As a result, few expect anything too concrete from the central bank this time...
08 Nov 2017, 06:59
- Asian equities traded mixed with profit taking initially dragging down major bourses, while the rally in commodities ran out of steam
- USD/JPY marginally lower amid the slight slip in US yields. Antipodean currencies performed a tad better against the greenback
- Looking ahead, highlights include DoEs, BoE’s McCafferty and Carney
07 Nov 2017, 06:55
- Asian bourses traded higher across the board amid a positive Wall St close with energy names leading the charge
- RBA stood pat on rates as expected. RBNZ act looks to maximise employment as a goal
- Looking ahead, highlights include US APIs, ECB’s Draghi, Lautenschlaeger and Fed’s Yellen
06 Nov 2017, 07:07
- Asian bourses begin the week on the backfoot, while oil prices rise on Saudi Royal Purge
- USD/JPY rises to highest level since March as Trump criticises Japan’s trade practises with the US, alongside BoJ jawboning
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone PMI, comments from ECB’s Praet and Mersch as well as Fed’s Dudley
03 Nov 2017, 06:56
- Asian equities saw little in the way of firm direction overnight amid light newsflow and Japan away from market
- AUD was the main mover in FX markets during Asia-Pac hours with AUD/USD slipping below 0.77 following soft retail sales
- Looking ahead, highlights include US NFP, ISM Non-Manufacturing, ECB’s Coeure and Fed’s Kashkari
02 Nov 2017, 07:07
- FOMC held rates between 1.00%-1.25%, as expected. FOMC stated that activity is rising at a "solid rate" despite hurricanes
- USD weakened across the board after reports that Trump intends to pick Powell as the next Fed Chair
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone Mfg. PMIs, UK Construction PMI, BoE Rate Decision and QIR, Fed’s Powell, Dudley and...
01 Nov 2017, 12:47
- Current BoE Base Rate: 0.25%, Asset Purchase Facility: GBP 435bln.
- The MPC is expected to raise its base rate by 25bps to 0.5% with markets believing that recent data is enough to support calls for lift-off.
- This meeting sees the release of the decision itself, the vote split and the minutes, alongside the central bank’s Quarterly...
01 Nov 2017, 06:55
- Asian equity markets began November mostly on the front-foot led by the Nikkei 225 (+1.95%) as exporters benefited from a weaker JPY
- NZD outperformed after better than expected Employment Change and decline in the Unemployment Rate
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK Manufacturing PMI, ADP employment change, ISM manufacturing, DoEs and FOMC rate decision ...
31 Oct 2017, 15:04
FOMC Monetary Policy Decision Preview Due On 1st November 2017 At 18:00 GMT, 1400 EDT, 1300 CDT
- Fed Chair announcement set to overshadow FOMC meeting.
- All of those surveyed expected the FOMC to leave its monetary policy settings unchanged this time out.
- Markets are almost fully pricing in a 25bps hike in...
31 Oct 2017, 06:53
- BoJ maintained QQE with Yield Curve Control and kept NIRP unchanged at -0.1% as expected
- A cautious tone persisted in Asia as the region digested softer than expected Chinese PMI data and a dampened lead from the US
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone GDP, APIs. German equities closed for Reformation Day
30 Oct 2017, 06:54
- Asian equity markets were slightly mixed amid a deluge of earnings and with the region tentative at the start of a risk-packed week
- The greenback pared some of the gains from Friday’s strong US GDP numbers which marginally benefitted its counterparts
- Looking ahead, highlights include regional German CPIs, US PCE and personal consumption
RANsquawk Weekly G10 Central Bank Monitor: Fed Chair news to overshadow FOMC meet, BOE may hike for the first time in a decade
27 Oct 2017, 19:25
- FED: Fed chair announcement to overshadow FOMC meeting
- ECB: Draghi pulls-off magic act
- BOE: MPC to hike for the first time in a decade
- BOJ: Policy meeting likely to be a snooze fest
- BOC: Cautious BOC enters data-dependent mode
- RBA: Cyclical upswing still missing
- RBNZ: Labour market...