30 Oct 2017, 06:54
- Asian equity markets were slightly mixed amid a deluge of earnings and with the region tentative at the start of a risk-packed week
- The greenback pared some of the gains from Friday’s strong US GDP numbers which marginally benefitted its counterparts
- Looking ahead, highlights include regional German CPIs, US PCE and personal consumption
RANsquawk Weekly G10 Central Bank Monitor: Fed Chair news to overshadow FOMC meet, BOE may hike for the first time in a decade
27 Oct 2017, 19:25
- FED: Fed chair announcement to overshadow FOMC meeting
- ECB: Draghi pulls-off magic act
- BOE: MPC to hike for the first time in a decade
- BOJ: Policy meeting likely to be a snooze fest
- BOC: Cautious BOC enters data-dependent mode
- RBA: Cyclical upswing still missing
- RBNZ: Labour market...
27 Oct 2017, 06:59
- Asia-Pac equities traded mostly higher following strong tech earnings in the US. ASX lagged after political difficulties in Australia
- ECB sources suggest that the extension of the PSPP will be subject to a swift taper at the end of next year
- Looking ahead, highlights include US GDP, PCE, and ECB’s Praet
26 Oct 2017, 06:52
- Asian equities traded with little in the way of firm direction as markets await today’s crucial ECB announcement
- In FX, USD remained weaker to the benefit of its major counterparts with FX markets otherwise contained
- Looking ahead, highlights include the ECB, Norges Bank and Riksbank rate decisions, US Trade, Weekly Jobs
25 Oct 2017, 06:57
- AUD/USD slid following softer than expected Australian Q3 CPI in which all components of the release missed estimates
- Asian equities were mostly higher in what was once again a relatively quiet session overnight ahead of key risk events today
- Looking ahead, highlights include German IFO, UK GDP, US Durables, New Home Sales, BoC, DoEs, German 10yr and US 5yr...
24 Oct 2017, 15:31
Due On Wednesday 25th October 2017 At 15:00 BST, 10:00 EDT, 09:00 CDTThe majority expects the BoC to stand pat when it issues its monetary policy decision on Wednesday, with only two of the 31 surveyed looking for a 25bps hike, following back-to-back 25bps hikes, which have left the BoC’s policy rate sitting at 1.00%.There are several key points supporting the argument that rates will be kept on hold: -
- The 50bps...
24 Oct 2017, 06:54
23 Oct 2017, 06:58
- Nikkei 225 outperforms after PM Abe wins a supermajority at Sunday’s election.
- Spanish PM Rajoy invokes article 155 to dissolve Catalan government.
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK CBI Trends and US National Activity Index.
20 Oct 2017, 06:55
19 Oct 2017, 07:08
- Chinese GDP slows for Q3, while solid Australian jobs data briefly supports AUD.
- NZD underperforms following decision by New Zealand First Party Leader Peters who chooses to back The Labour Party.
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK Retail Sales, US Weekly Claims and Philly Fed Index.
18 Oct 2017, 06:58
- Asian equity markets modestly higher following the positive close on Wall Street in which the DJIA touched 23,000 for the first time
- CAD and MXN notably firmer after NAFTA ministers agreed to extend negotiations into 2018.
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK Jobs report, US Housing Starts and comments from ECB’s Draghi, Praet and Coeure.
17 Oct 2017, 06:56
- Another record close in the US spurs buying in Asian equities
- NZD initially lifted by firmer CPI, however political concerns capped gains
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK CPI, German ZEW
16 Oct 2017, 07:04
- Asian equity markets begin the week in the green with the region bolstered by Chinese data
- Risk on tone sees outflows in JPY
- Looking ahead, highlights include US NY Fed Manufacturing.
13 Oct 2017, 06:57
- Asian equities traded broadly higher. Upside was capped following the latest mixed Chinese trade figures
- USD mildly weakened across the board as DXY gave up the 93.00 level ahead of a slew of tier 1 US data
- Looking ahead, highlights include US CPI, retail sales, business inventories, Uni. of Michigan and a slew of central bank speakers
12 Oct 2017, 06:58
- FOMC’s minutes stated that many policymakers felt another rate increase was likely warranted in 2017 despite debate on causes of low inflation
- Asian equities traded mostly higher following further record US closes. USD broadly weaker against its majors post-FOMC
- Looking ahead, highlights include weekly jobs data, US PPI, DoEs and a slew of central bank speakers
11 Oct 2017, 06:54
- Catalan President Puigdemont announced that he had received the mandate to pursue independence from Spain but said it would not be implemented for a few weeks
- Asian equities traded broadly higher following a positive Wall St close. USD nursed losses against majors overnight
- Looking ahead, highlights include US JOLTS, FOMC minutes, Fed’s Evans, Williams and ECB’s...
10 Oct 2017, 06:56
- The Greenback weakened overnight amid gains across its major counterparts and EM currencies, with AUD and NZD mildly supported
- Asian equities put in a mixed performance overnight with the KOSPI the outperformer in a catch-up play
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK production numbers, Fed’s Kashkari and Kaplan
09 Oct 2017, 20:15
09 Oct 2017, 06:56
- UK politics continues to dominate with reports of preparations for a potential Brexit no-deal and further Tory in-fighting
- Asian equities traded mostly higher with China returning to market for the first time in over a week. Japanese participants away from market
- Looking ahead, highlights include ECB’s Mersch and Lautenschlaeger
06 Oct 2017, 06:56
- Asian equities traded mostly higher amid yet another strong close on Wall St. with markets now eyeing today’s NFP release
- In FX markets, the greenback extended on yesterday’s gains and the DXY posted its highest level in 7-weeks
- Looking ahead, highlights include US and Canadian jobs reports, BoE’s Haldane, Fed’s Bostic, Dudley and Kaplan
05 Oct 2017, 06:54
- Asia-Pac trade was relatively contained amid ongoing holiday-thinned conditions and ahead of tomorrow’s NFP release
- As was also the case in FX markets with the main focus being AUD which was pressured following softer domestic retail sales numbers
- Looking ahead, highlights include ECB Minutes, US Trade Balance, Weekly Jobs, Factory orders and a slew of central bank...
04 Oct 2017, 06:55
- Asian equities traded broadly higher after a positive lead from the US where Sept car sales data helped push indices to record highs
- In FX, the USD softened after Trump aides released a short list of Fed Chair nominees which included current Chair Yellen
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone, UK and US service PMIs, ADP, ISM Non-Mfg, ECB’s Draghi and Fed’s...
03 Oct 2017, 06:45
- In FX, the USD remained firm against its major counterparts. RBA kept rates unchanged as expected and highlighted the firmer currency
- Asian equities traded mostly higher with the Hang Seng outperforming in a catch-up play from yesterday’s holiday
- Looking ahead, highlights include UK construction PMI, US vehicle sales and APIs
02 Oct 2017, 06:57
- Asian equities traded broadly higher with many bourses closed for domestic holiday’s
- EUR/USD faced selling pressure following public unrest and clashes during the Catalonian referendum
- Looking ahead, highlights include Eurozone PMIs, US ISM Manufacturing, ECB’s Praet and Fed’s Kaplan
29 Sep 2017, 14:39