Fed's Bernanke says fiscal cliff would pose substantial threat
- Cooperation and creativity to solve fiscal cliff could help make 2013 a very good one for the American economy.
- Framework to out fiscal policy on stable long-run path urgently needed, but avoid adding to economic headwinds.
- Too early to assess full effects of QE3, but corporate bond and MBS yields have fallen significantly since announcement.
- US unemployment rate still well above - perhaps 2.0-2.5ppt - Fed's view of long-run sustainable levels.
Reaction details (17:23)
- In reaction to these comments e-mini S&P moved lower from 1386.25 to 1384.75 with disappointment on a lack of new information from the Fed chairman.
- T-notes moved higher 1.5 ticks, moving from 133.19+ yo 133.21.
- No reaction was seen in the USD.
Analysis details (17:19)
- These comments offer no new insight into any decision taken at the December meeting, and are a reiteration of most recent comments by Bernanke and the FOMC minutes.
20 Nov 2012 - 17:15- Fixed IncomeBank Speaker- Source: Newswires
Subscribe Now to RANsquawk
Click here for a 1 week free trial
RANsquawk provides audio news and commentary for over 15,000professional traders and brokers worldwide. Services include:
- Real-time audio coverage from 0630 to 2200 London time plus Asia-Pac 2200 to 1000 London time
- Teams of analysts covering equities, fixed income, FX, energy, and metals markets
- Real-time scrolling news service with instant analysis
- Daily and weekly pre-market research and calendars
- Video updates covering near-term key risk events & primary trading themes
- One-to-one chat with our expert analysts